The First Ever Drop Me Anywhere Travel Limerick Contest
You voted and I’m going. I leave for Ireland on July 23 or, as they say over there, 23 July (see, I’ve been learning the language). I’ll fly into Shannon, which is in the west, as it’s quite a bit less expensive to fly there than to Dublin. As it only takes just over two hours to drive across the country from west to east (also from east to west!), it seems like a good trade-off. I’ll stay 12 days and see just a bit of the country while I’m there.
After landing in Shannon, I’ll begin the journey by spending a few days in the neighboring city of Limerick. From there I’ll begin making my way east by bus or train where, at some point, I hope to stumble upon Phoenix Park, which is where you, my treasured Virtual Travel Buddies decided to “drop me” this time.
In honor of my visit to the town of Limerick, I’ve decided to hold the first ever, Drop Me Anywhere Travel Limerick Contest. I know you’ve heard of the funny and often a bit dirty limerick poetry. So here’s your chance to be a writer.
– The rhyming scheme of a limerick is AABBA. Therefore lines 1,2 and 5 all end in a rhyme. Lines 3 and 4 end in a different rhyme.
– Lines 1,2 and 5 are generally longer and lines 2 and 4 are shorter.
– The theme of your limerick should be TRAVEL.
– Either write your entry in the comment section (leave a reply) on this article or submit it through the “contact page” on the menu on the top.
– All entries must be original. No copying off your neighbor or, perhaps, somebody on the internet. Play nice. Don’t plagiarize.
– Dirty? Well, a little double entendre is always enjoyable, but please, I have readers whose mothers read this. I reserve the right to block anything that might be truly offensive. Entries will be reviewed for offensive language before being approved.
– On that note, the judging is final and guess what, I’m the judge!
– Enter as often as you like.
– Entries must be submitted by July 31, 2014 and the winner will be announced on August 5, the day after I return.
Here’s an example of a limerick that would fit the theme:
There once was a girl from the States
And planning her travel she hates
So readers decide
Where next she will ride
She goes where adventure awaits
Now, what you’ve all been waiting for – the prize! The winner of the Drop Me Anywhere Travel Limerick Contest will win a lovely gift imported directly from the motherland (Ireland, in this case). If at all possible, it will be some genuine Irish Whisky but, due to alcohol shipping laws, it may, in fact, be some other amazing gift from an Irish distillery. It’ll almost be like you’re in Ireland drinking with me (although if you were with me, you’d be buying)!
A few hints to help you get started – there are great choices of rhyming dictionaries online including:
Also helpful is http://www.poetry4kids.com/blog/lessons/how-to-write-a-limerick/
So get your entries in, share the fun with your friends via Twitter, Facebook, or maybe while sitting at the bar.