9 Comments

1. Barbara Gabriel
    December 22, 2014 @ 10:23 am

A full day! Just caught me at a good time because I just finished an article online from the New Yorker archives about the Berlin wall. It was written right after the time the wall had gone up. Fascinating stories of escape. I remember several happening when I was a kid including a balloon escape. Thanks for taking me along on your trip.

• Drop Me Anywhere
      December 22, 2014 @ 10:44 am

Thanks for joining me. It’s really incredible the ingenuity these people had in order to escape.

2. Frank
    December 22, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

Another nice article, nice pix too, hanks.

Btw, you might wanna check out an (alternative) indoor market, located in the borough Kreuzberg, “Markthalle Neun” (Market Hall #9). They have great “Street Food Thursdays”, you’d love it, dunno tho how long you’ll be staying, the next one – because of the holidays, I guess – is on Jan 8. But that market hall is always worth a visit – anyday. Check https://www.facebook.com/MarkthalleNeun , I don’t think they have an English version at their proper site at http://www.markthalleneun.de .

As for additional hints on what to do while in Berlin, off the beaten tourist track I mean, you might wanna take a peek at the site of the English Berlin expat mag “ExBerliner”, check http://www.exberliner.com .

Tschüss!

• Frank
      December 22, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention one thing about those British students at the museum and their obvious (non-)knowledge of capitals: Europe DOES have a de-facto capital – and that is Brussels, where the main institutions of the European Union (the EU Commission, the EU Parliament, the EU Council), who run large parts of the show here in Europe, are located (NATO is also headquartered there, btw).

Well, I believe the Brits are not that much into the EU (even considering to exit the EU) anyway, so please don’t blame them too much … http://euobserver.com/regions/121455 .

3. Dr. Nancy Snow (@drpersuasion)
    December 22, 2014 @ 6:20 pm

Enjoying your posts so much. They always bring a laugh. Berlin is one of my favorite places to visit, especially Checkpoint Charlie.

• Drop Me Anywhere
      December 23, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

Thanks so much. I do love Checkpoint Charlie. It’s in incredibly comprehensive museum. The history is so recent and present today. And the ingenuity of the escape attempts was brilliant.

4. If At First You Don’t Succeed | Drop Me Anywhere
    December 24, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

[…] well. There was the whole not finding the bus stop situation and then the robbery (read about it in Plans Thwarted – KaDeWe, Crooks and Checkpoint Charlie). After today’s successful trip to yoga, I have new-found confidence and am giving the KaDeWe […]

5. A final day in Berlin, The Bundestag, and the Bar | Drop Me Anywhere
    January 2, 2015 @ 9:14 am

[…] the bus. When I arrive at the bus stop for the flat, I walk past the local Cheech and Chong Bar (read about my first visit here). Well, I don’t exactly walk past as I stop in to check to see if my new friend Peter is […]

6. The Good, the Bad and the Dankeschöns | Drop Me Anywhere
    January 4, 2015 @ 11:04 am

[…] The shopping – although I’m not really allowed to buy things (okay, one necklace at the Christmas market, but it doubles as a watch) as my life is currently lived out of one suitcase (no more than 50 pounds, thank-you), a carry-on and a day backpack, if you’re a shopper, you’ll love Berlin. It has everything you could want. And you’ll love shopping at the KaDeWe as long as it’s not robbed by “gangsters” that day (read about that here). […]